Tourist visits to our church has been suspended until further notice.
Mount Neboh Baptist Church was organized in the home of the late Reverend R. B. and Etta B. Pearson on November 19, 1937. With 21 Charter members and $27.00, the road was paved for a new beginning. The church struggled during the early years of its existence, but with God’s blessings we have come this far by faith. The first building purchased by the church in 1940 was located at 2365 8th Ave. After 13 years of service, Reverend Pearson resigned to organize the Manhattan Baptist Church. During the interim the mortgage was burned while Reverend G.R. Pratt ministered until the calling of Dr. William Daniel Gardner as the church’s second Pastor. Dr. Gardner served faithfully for 34 years until the Lord called him from labor to reward. During his tenure the church grew in leaps and bounds with a membership exceeding over 2500 members. However, that growth did not come without controversy and confusion. From 1963 to 1966 the church was closed due to church conflict, but the membership persevered and God’s true remnant prevailed. With no room to move around on Sunday morning, and with finances doubling and even trippling, Dr. Gardner relocated the church on June 9, 1980 to our current worship site at 1883 Adam Clayton Powell, Jr., Blvd. Dr. Gardner also served as President of The Baptist Ministers Conference of Greater New York and Vicinity. After the death of Dr. Gardner, Reverend Willie Hairston, one of the Son’s in Ministry, was called to serve during the interim period while the church was in transition. On August 15, 1988, Dr. Richard Watkins, Pastor of First Calvary Baptist Church, was called to serve as the church’s Third Pastor. Under Dr. Watkins leadership the congregregation continued to thrive. The church’s lower and upper auditoriums were completely renovated at a cost of $250.000.00. Dr. Watkins had a strong teaching ministry and did many great things until the Lord summoned him to glory in 2004. Dr. Johnnie Green of the New Zion Baptist Church In Elizabeth, New Jersey was extended the call to become the 4th Pastor in the church’s storied history. Since becoming Pastor of Mount Neboh, Dr. Green has led the church in paying off the $250.000 dollar debt from church interior renovations that were completed under the leadership of the late Dr. Richard Watkins, remodeled all of the church offices, replaced roof of church and repaired damages to the outer structure of the church at a cost of 1.3 Million dollars. Dr. Green has lead the church during a difficult period of gentrification and demographic change in Harlem, and it continues to be one of the leading Baptist Churches in New York City. Known for his dynamic preaching, teaching, fearless activism, and social justice work, Mount Neboh Baptist Church under Dr. Green's leadership continues to be a vibrant and relevant witness in the Village of Harlem. To God Be The Glory for the great things He has done.